Passion fruit, also known as purple granadilla, is an egg shaped fruit with wrinkle skin and green pulp-like flesh. This fruit is widely grown in tropical and sub-tropical countries. Due to its distinct aroma and sweet taste, it is primarily used for juicing. This juice is also frequently added to other fruit drinks, ice-creams, cakes, sodas etc to impart flavour. Besides cooling the body in summers, passion fruit juice has several health benefits as it is highly nutritious.
Health Benefits of Passion Fruit Juice:
Since the passion fruit is rich in vitamins and other vital nutrients, there are several health benefits of drinking passion fruit juice. A cup of raw passion fruit juice provides around 1771 IU of vitamin A and 1035 mcg beta carotene whereas raw yellow passion fruit juice contains 2329 IU of vitamin A and 1297 mcg of beta carotene. Some of the health benefits of passion fruit juice are as follows.
- A glass of passion fruit juice acts as an excellent coolant. Due to its refreshing cool taste, it can cure burning sensation in the stomach. It helps relax your nerves and mind, making you feel calm.
- Passion fruit juice is a laxative food which aids bowel action. It is beneficial in digestive problems and for those suffering from constipation. It is an excellent remedy for the treatment of hyperacidity, gastric and duodenal ulcers when taken in doses of 4 to 6 ounces every 2 hours.
- Passion fruit juice contains alkaloids which have blood pressure lowering, sedative and antispasmodic action.
- Passion fruit juice is rich in beta carotene which is responsible for the yellow and purple colour of passion fruits. It is also called pro-vitamin A as it is converted to vitamin A in the liver. Being an antioxidant, it helps prevent cancer, heart disease and high blood pressure.
- Beta carotene contained in it promotes bone and tooth development, repairs body tissues and benefits the eyes besides reducing the risk of arthritis, Parkinson’s disease, infertility and depression. Moreover, beta-carotene is a non-toxic form of vitamin A as excess of vitamin A can be toxic.
- Passion fruit is rich in vitamin B2, vitamin B6, folate and choline. Drinking passion fruit juice is beneficial as these B vitamins support the mucus membranes in the digestive tract as well as mental health and brain function. Apart from this, they lower cholesterol level and improve circulation.
- Passion fruit juice has a calming effect on the nervous and hence is beneficial for insomnia patients. A glass of passion fruit juice before going to bed can facilitate peaceful sleep.
- Being extremely nutritious and healthy, this juice can soothe asthma attacks. It contains vitamin C which helps in blocking histamine that causes asthma symptoms.
- Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps the body prevent and fight against diseases and infections. It also speeds up wound healing by facilitating the repair of tissues.
- It also contains the mineral potassium in abundance. Potassium is vital for the proper functioning of the kidneys and muscle contractions and particularly beneficial for smokers, vegetarians and athletes.
- Passion fruit juice can aid in weight loss as fruit is low in calories (97 calories per 100 g), sodium and fat. Moreover, it is rich in carbohydrates and natural sugars which enable the human body to recover quickly from a workout as the energy levels are replenished. It also lowers the cholesterol levels.