Asparagus is a member of the lily family which includes leeks, garlic and onions. It has a spear top with bud-like, compact and pointed head.
Although it’s available all year round, asparagus usually is most found and best in spring and is harvested when it is about 6 to 8 inches tall.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF ASPARAGUS:
Asparagus is one of the few vegetables that is dense in healthful nutrients that help many ailments.
- Acidity, Blood: The high alkalinity of this wonder juice is effective in reducing the acidity of the blood and helps cleanses the tissues and muscles of waste.
- Arthritis and Rheumatism: A unique phytochemical in asparagus that produces anti-inflammatory effect helps relieve arthritis and rheumatism.
- Bowel movement: Consume asparagus regularly for its mild laxative effect and dietary fiber that provides for regular bowel movement.
- Cancer: Asparagus is a prime source of anti-oxidant and glutathione that can help prevent the dreaded cancer.
- Cataracts: The anti-oxidant and glutathione in asparagus prevents the progression of cataracts and other eye problems.
- Diabetes/Hypoglycemia: The healthful minerals in asparagus juice make it an important diet for people who are controlling their blood sugar levels. However, it is not to be taken by people with advanced kidney diseases.
- Diuretic: Asparagus is a wonderfully diuretic vegetable and its efficacy is more pronounced when it is taken in juice form.
- Heart disease: Drink a small amount of asparagus juice mixed with raw honey three times a day daily to strengthen a weak or enlarged heart.
- Kidney: The diuretic and alkaline properties of asparagus help prevent or dissolve kidney stones. It helps break up oxalic acid crystals formed in the kidney.
- PMS symptoms: The diuretic effect of asparagus juice helps relieve premenstrual swelling and bloating. The magnesium in this wonder juice also help relieve irritability, fatigue, depression, etc.
- Pregnant women: The high content of folate, calcium and other minerals in asparagus are important in reducing the risk of birth defects and low birth weight. The diuretic effect of the juice is also a big help in reducing water retention in pregnant women.